Your smile is your best asset. And we think keeping those pearly whites in healthy condition is a fact that deserves celebration. Throughout October, as we celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month, we recognize the valuable work of dental hygienists in providing preventative oral care. And with all those hard candies getting handed out for Halloween, it’s the perfect time to promote the positive benefits of good oral hygiene.
What Is Good Dental Hygiene?
Dental hygiene is all the practices that clean your mouth and keep it free of disease. That includes daily at-home actions such as flossing and brushing daily, alongside more advanced care from your dentist or dental hygienist. Any activities that maintain healthy teeth fall are all part of good dental hygiene.
Oral hygiene is crucial because it limits several mouth health problems. Tooth decay, gum disease, cavities, and halitosis are all linked to improper dental care. Oral infections such as gingivitis and periodontitis can also contribute to other conditions such as cardiovascular disease and endocarditis. Taking care of your teeth is necessary for your overall well-being.
Stay Healthy With Preventative Care
While you can take care of your flossing and rinsing with mouthwash, a registered dental hygienist performs several additional services that help you keep your teeth healthy:
- Routine cleanings: Have an expert give a deep clean to your teeth, removing plaque buildup and tartar.
- Examinations: A dental hygienist will use their trained eye and expertise to examine your teeth, helping catch possible issues before they become a significant problem.
- Sealants: If you have pits in your teeth that can lead to cavities, a hygienist applies sealants to cover and protect the crevices.
- Fluoride treatments: Fluoride is a concentrated foam or rinse that supports the strength of your tooth enamel, improving the outer protective layer of your teeth.
- Periodontal care: Dental hygienists monitor the quality of your teeth and the natural set of the gums, looking for signs of periodontitis. Advanced tools such as dental lasers can help remove bacteria related to gum diseases.
- X-rays: Receive accurate diagnosis with x-ray screening services that inspect bone loss, cysts, and other abscesses.
- Oral cancer screenings: A dental hygienist will perform a series of tests to check for possible oral cancer and other abnormalities you might not notice.
How You Can Observe National Dental Hygiene Month
The best way to celebrate is to take care of your teeth. Enjoy the clean feeling after a fresh floss and brush! And if you haven’t scheduled an annual visit with a dentist, set up an appointment at Cakmes Dental Studios. We would happily look after your oral health during National Dental Hygiene Month.
Take the proper steps to protect your dental health; schedule an appointment with Cakmes Dental Studio today!